Intersect360 Research surveyed the High Performance Computing (HPC) user community to complete its eleventh Site Census study. The study is a look at their current computer system installations, storage systems, networks, middleware, and application software supporting these computer installations.
This report provides a detailed analysis of scientific research applications named in the Site Census survey. Our goal in this analysis is to provide an overview of the scientific research applications space, including the breadth of applications and those that are most commonly used.
Our Site Census survey results can be found in many reports, including the following:
- HPC System Configurations and Technologies
- HPC System Vendors Installed
- HPC Storage Configurations and Technologies
- HPC Storage Vendors Installed
- HPC Networking Technologies
- HPC Processing Technologies (Including Accelerators)
- HPC Operating System Installations
- HPC Middleware and Tool Installations
- HPC Application Installations (segmented into application domains):
- Business: Business intelligence, analytics, pattern recognition, ERP, CRM, security, complex event processing, general business
- Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD)
- Engineering: Structural analysis, electronic design automation (EDA), general engineering
- Finance and economics
- Scientific research
- Visualization and image analysis
- Weather modeling, climate modeling, environment modeling
Scientific research is a broad category that incorporates any scientific application that does not get recorded in one of the named domains in the Site Census survey. These applications occur in various fields of research. Note that areas such as chemistry, biosciences, and physics are analyzed in their own reports.
Scientific research is the ninth-most cited application domain in our most recent Site Census survey analysis, with 106 (4.3%) of the 2,466 mentions. Scientific research is an area in which we found few ISV applications in our survey. Overall, in-house applications represented 76% of mentions. This is the highest proportion of in-house application development reported in any application category.
Table 1: HPC User Site Census Responses for Application Analysis
HPC APPLICATION USAGE: SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH APPLICATIONS
Figure 1: HPC User Site Census Applications by Domain
Figure 2: Source of Scientific Research Applications (Open-Source, In-House, ISV)
Figure 3: Source of Scientific Research Applications, by Sector
Table 2: List of Reported Scientific Research Applications, Excluding In-House
INTERSECT360 RESEARCH ANALYSIS
Log into Your Account
New here? Create an Account
Your account has been created. Close this popup and you're ready to go!