Intersect360 Research surveyed the High Performance Computing (HPC) user community to complete its eleventh Site Census study. The study is a look at their current computer system installations, storage systems, networks, middleware, and application software supporting these computer installations.
This report provides a detailed analysis of the physics applications installed among respondents to our HPC User Site Census survey. Our goal in this analysis is to provide an overview of the physics applications space, including the breadth of applications and those that are most commonly used.
Our Site Census survey results can be found in many reports, including the following:
- HPC System Configurations and Technologies
- HPC System Vendors Installed
- HPC Storage Configurations and Technologies
- HPC Storage Vendors Installed
- HPC Networking Technologies
- HPC Processing Technologies (Including Accelerators)
- HPC Operating System Installations
- HPC Middleware and Tool Installations
- HPC Application Installations (segmented into application domains):
- Business: Business intelligence, analytics, pattern recognition, ERP, CRM, security, complex event processing, general business
- Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD)
- Engineering: Structural analysis, electronic design automation (EDA), general engineering
- Finance and economics
- Scientific research
- Visualization and image analysis
- Weather modeling, climate modeling, environment modeling
Physics applications are used in a wide variety of vertical markets to model or simulate physical processes. These applications occur in various fields of research and industry. Physics is the eighth-most cited application domain in our most recent Site Census survey analysis, with 114 (4.6%) of the 2,466 mentions. Note that two detailed sub-areas within physics, engineering and computational fluid dynamics, are analyzed in their own reports. Physics is an area in which we found few ISV applications in our survey. ISV applications accounted for only five of the 114 survey mentions. The other 109 application mentions for physics were split nearly evenly between open-source and in-house applications.
Table 1: HPC User Site Census Responses for Application Analysis
HPC APPLICATION USAGE: PHYSICS
Figure 1: HPC User Site Census Applications by Domain
Figure 2: Source of Physics Applications (Open-Source, In-House, ISV)
Table 2: Top Named Physics Applications in HPC User Site Census Survey
INTERSECT360 RESEARCH ANALYSIS
Log into Your Account
New here? Create an Account
Your account has been created. Close this popup and you're ready to go!