Intersect360 Research surveyed the High Performance Computing (HPC) user community to complete its eleventh Site Census study. The study is a look at their current computer system installations, storage systems, networks, middleware, and application software supporting these computer installations.
This report provides a detailed examination of engineering applications named in the Site Census survey. Our goal in this analysis is to provide an overview of the engineering applications space, including the breadth of applications and those that are most commonly used.
Our Site Census survey results can be found in many reports, including the following:
- HPC System Configurations and Technologies
- HPC System Vendors Installed
- HPC Storage Configurations and Technologies
- HPC Storage Vendors Installed
- HPC Networking Technologies
- HPC Processing Technologies (Including Accelerators)
- HPC Operating System Installations
- HPC Middleware and Tool Installations
- HPC Application Installations (segmented into application domains):
- Business: Business intelligence, analytics, pattern recognition, ERP, CRM, security, complex event processing, general business
- Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD)
- Engineering: Structural analysis, electronic design automation (EDA), general engineering
- Finance and economics
- Scientific research
- Visualization and image analysis
- Weather modeling, climate modeling, environment modeling
Engineering is one of the primary use cases for HPC. In this report, we examine multiple categories of engineering applications, including structural analysis, electronic design automation (EDA), and other general engineering applications. These engineering categories together represent 324 (13.1%) of total application mentions in our Site Census survey.
Engineering is an ISV-dominated field. ISV applications represent 263 of the 324 specified business applications in the survey—81.2% of the total. This proportion is highest among commercial HPC users, where it reached 87.0%, but it was also over 70% among both academic and government respondents.
Table 1: HPC User Site Census Responses for Application Analysis
HPC APPLICATION USAGE: ENGINEERING APPLICATIONS
Figure 1: HPC User Site Census Applications by Domain
Figure 2: Source of Engineering Applications (Open-Source, In-House, ISV) by Economic Sector
Table 2: Named Engineering Applications in HPC User Site Census Survey
Table 3: Suppliers of Named Engineering Applications in HPC User Site Census Survey
INTERSECT360 RESEARCH ANALYSIS
Log into Your Account
New here? Create an Account
Your account has been created. Close this popup and you're ready to go!