Intersect360 Research surveyed the High Performance Computing (HPC) user community to complete its eleventh Site Census study. The study is a look at their current computer system installations, storage systems, networks, middleware, and application software supporting these computer installations.
This report provides a detailed examination of the chemistry applications installed at a sample of High Performance Computing (HPC) user sites. Our goal in this analysis is to provide an overview of the chemistry applications space, including the breadth of applications and those that are most commonly used.
Our Site Census survey results can be found in many reports, including the following:
- HPC System Configurations and Technologies
- HPC System Vendors Installed
- HPC Storage Configurations and Technologies
- HPC Storage Vendors Installed
- HPC Networking Technologies
- HPC Processing Technologies (Including Accelerators)
- HPC Operating System Installations
- HPC Middleware and Tool Installations
- HPC Application Installations (segmented into application domains):
- Business: Business intelligence, analytics, pattern recognition, ERP, CRM, security, complex event processing, general business
- Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD)
- Engineering: Structural analysis, electronic design automation (EDA), general engineering
- Finance and economics
- Scientific research
- Visualization and image analysis
- Weather modeling, climate modeling, environment modeling
Chemistry applications are used in a wide variety of vertical markets to model or simulate chemical processes. These applications occur in various fields of research and industry.
With its breadth of applicability, chemistry is the most-cited application domain in our most recent Site Census survey analysis, with 645 (26.2%) of the 2,466 mentions. (See Figure 1.) Counting only those respondents who named specific applications, chemistry accounted for 631 (28.0%) of the 2,256 mentions. The top ten chemistry applications account for about three-quarters of total mentions; nine of the top ten are open-source applications.
Table 1: HPC User Site Census Responses for Application Analysis
HPC APPLICATION USAGE: CHEMISTRY
Figure 1: HPC User Site Census Applications by Domain
Figure 2: Source of Chemistry Applications (Open-Source, In-House, ISV) by Economic Sector
Figure 3: Named Chemistry Applications in HPC User Site Census Survey
Table 2: Named Chemistry Applications in HPC User Site Census Survey
INTERSECT360 RESEARCH ANALYSIS
Log into Your Account
New here? Create an Account
Your account has been created. Close this popup and you're ready to go!