Intersect360 Research surveyed the High Performance Computing (HPC) user community to complete its eleventh Site Census study. The study is a look at their current computer system installations, storage systems, networks, middleware, and application software supporting these computer installations.
This report provides a detailed examination of business applications named in the Site Census survey. Our goal in this analysis is to provide an overview of the business applications space, including the breadth of applications and those that are most commonly used.
Our Site Census survey results can be found in many reports, including the following:
- HPC System Configurations and Technologies
- HPC System Vendors Installed
- HPC Storage Configurations and Technologies
- HPC Storage Vendors Installed
- HPC Networking Technologies
- HPC Processing Technologies (Including Accelerators)
- HPC Operating System Installations
- HPC Middleware and Tool Installations
- HPC Application Installations (segmented into application domains):
- Business: Business intelligence, analytics, pattern recognition, ERP, CRM, security, complex event processing, general business
- Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD)
- Engineering: Structural analysis, electronic design automation (EDA), general engineering
- Finance and economics
- Scientific research
- Visualization and image analysis
- Weather modeling, climate modeling, environment modeling
For many years, HPC has been steadily increasingly in its use for general business purposes. Today, analytics and machine learning support this trend, but business applications have been present in HPC since before “big data” became a buzzword. In this report, we examine multiple categories of business applications, including business intelligence, pattern recognition, enterprise resource planning (ERP), customer relationship management (CRM), security, complex event processing (CEP), web search and analysis, and other general business.These business categories together therefore represent 229 (9.3%) of total application mentions in the Site Census survey.
Table 1: HPC User Site Census Responses for Application Analysis
HPC APPLICATION USAGE: BUSINESS APPLICATIONS
Figure 1: HPC User Site Census Applications by Domain
Figure 2: Source of Business Applications (Open-Source, In-House, ISV) by Economic Sector
Table 2: Suppliers of Named Business Applications in HPC User Site Census Survey
INTERSECT360 RESEARCH ANALYSIS
Log into Your Account
New here? Create an Account
Your account has been created. Close this popup and you're ready to go!