Intersect360 Research surveyed the High Performance Computing (HPC) user community to complete its eleventh Site Census study. The study is a look at their current computer system installations, storage systems, networks, middleware, and application software supporting these computer installations. This report provides a detailed examination of the biosciences applications installed at a sample of High Performance Computing (HPC) user sites. Our goal in this analysis is to provide an overview of the biosciences applications space, including the breadth of applications and those that are most commonly used.
Our Site Census survey results can be found in many reports, including the following:
- HPC System Configurations and Technologies
- HPC System Vendors Installed
- HPC Storage Configurations and Technologies
- HPC Storage Vendors Installed
- HPC Networking Technologies
- HPC Processing Technologies (Including Accelerators)
- HPC Operating System Installations
- HPC Middleware and Tool Installations
- HPC Application Installations (segmented into application domains):
- Business: Business intelligence, analytics, pattern recognition, ERP, CRM, security, complex event processing, general business
- Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD)
- Engineering: Structural analysis, electronic design automation (EDA), general engineering
- Finance and economics
- Scientific research
- Visualization and image analysis
- Weather modeling, climate modeling, environment modeling
Biosciences applications are used to reveal the nature of life and help design medical treatments. They are also used to understand and to enhance agricultural
production. For the purposes of this survey, this segment includes applications such as bioinformatics, bio-molecular modeling, genomics, and pharmacology.
Biosciences is the third-most cited application domain in our most recent Site Census survey analysis, with 282 (11.4%) of the 2,466 mentions. (See Figure 1.) Counting only those respondents who named specific applications, Biosciences accounted for 254 (11.3%) of the 2,256 mentions. 219 open-source or commercial, licensed applications span 105 different application-supplier combinations, analyzed in this report.
HPC APPLICATION USAGE: BIOSCIENCES
INTERSECT360 RESEARCH ANALYSIS
Log into Your Account
New here? Create an Account
Your account has been created. Close this popup and you're ready to go!